21 August 2005
I've been working on this thing on and off for a couple days when I had a few spare moments here and there. I call it darkling. It's starting to come together now. I think it's a pretty nice, minimalistic skin for the b2evolution blog software. I've incorporated a lot of hacks found around the b2evo forums, and put that all behind a customized css layout. There are still a few bugs I'm working out, and still some things to add, but it's getting there.
If you've been to this blog using another skin, you can switch to the darkling skin by clicking here or, as always, you can select the skin of your choice using the skin switcher in the sidebar on the right. (Skin switcher has been removed). (This skin was designed for a now obsolete version of b2evo and has been removed. Check back for an updated release. If you need a custom skin design built for a current b2evo release, leave a comment or send a message)
Newest additions to the darkling skin, and things still on my to-do list:
1. Changed Single-Post view to wide view, by adding a display-switcher php snippet, and setting the sidebar CSS to "display: none" when in wide view.
2. Removed some blocks of code which had been commented out but were still being parsed. I've noticed some increase in speed after doing so.
3. Added fader wallpaper to the page header and the audio blocks.
4. Added icons for 'comments' and 'permalink'.
5. Added footer area for narrow and wide display.
1. Desaturate/greyscale the smilies icons so they fit better with the colorscheme.
2. Possibly desaturate the RSS and Atom shims to remove the orange color, so they fit better with the colorscheme.
3. Finetuning the CSS styles for lists, etc, and making sure the CSS validates properly. There are some styles left over from testing which don't validate. These will be easy to fix up. -Done.
4. Finetune the CSS for the stats page. It still holds the original, lighter-grey shading from the first iteration of the skin. -Done.
5. Fix topmenu tabs for IE. In IE6, the hover state of text in the tabs needs to be explicitly defined. -Done.
6. Change the chain-link permalink icons to something more within the skins general theme/mood.
7. I'm still trying to get the topmenu to work in Internet Explorer 5. Right now it shifts all the way to the left side. I'm partly of the opinion that I shouldn't even bother, since IE5 (and IE6 for that matter) is a pretty insecure web browser. Everybody should switch to firefox... it's smaller, faster, more secure, and has loads of extensions to make it work better for your own particular web browsing needs.
You can get firefox here.
Let me know what you think of the darkling skin.
Be sure to check out the b2evo blog skins category for more custom b2evo skins...
or, What my speakers are currently pumping...
Agnostic Front - Liberty and Justice For...
This post is the creative work of Yours Truly and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.
darkling, b2evolution, b2evo, blog, template, skin, layout, design, custom, valid, xhtml, strict, transitional, css, hreschak